In going through other folks’ blogs and thinking of their pains and how I could help them, I thought I could offer a short version of what I would suggest them to do, or what I would do as far as search engine optimization on their blogs and website. I write a lot of blogs about the more in depth meanings of a lot of these points, so if you want more explanation, there are many internal links within this blog, so check them out.
You ready for this? Check out these SEO tips that YOU can do, today, on each and every page, or blog you write to help search engines find you, thus improve your search engine rankings which helps your website be more visible online:
- Create a catchy title for your blog – the point is to get folks to READ your blog and if they aren’t interested in the heading (like a subject line in email – you got to get them to open it), they won’t read the blog!
- Important stuff at the top – you will lose folks quickly so be sure you have the most important stuff at the top, in case you lose them early on.
- Keyword rich content – hopefully your content will naturally have your keywords in it, since you won’t be writing about underwater basket weaving if you are a pipe builder, but be sure to use variations of your keywords. Remember, content is king, so be sure to have plenty of it!
- Images – be sure you add images that relate to your content and alt tags that describe the picture. Folks scan when they read and if there is an image about a bear and you are writing about building a bridge, you will lose them quickly. That’s kind of a no brainer, but keep in mind the reader will start to create thoughts when they see the images.
- SEO plugin – If you have a WordPress site, be sure to use a plugin for your SEO, it just makes life easier. There are several out there – WordPress SEO by Yoast, SEO WordPress, SEO Ultimate, All in One SEO Pack and Jetpack to name a few. Any of these should make it easier for you to just insert the meta data/tags – title, description and sometimes keywords
- Title tag – add a unique title tag (no, this isn’t the headline/title) for each of your blogs/pages. This is a descriptive 60 characters that explains what the blog is about that is also intended to encourage the reader to click to read your blog!
- Description tag – add a unique description about that blog. It helps tell the search engines what your page is about to help show up in the search results, which in turn is to encourage the reader to click through to read.
- Keyword tag – not all plugins have this, and it isn’t as important as it used to be because folks tended to be spammy, so I would suggest added 3-5 long tail keywords that are relevant to that blog and it wouldn’t hurt to include some geographical tags if you are more of a local business.
- Use links appropriately – internal links take the reader from one page to another ON your site whereas external links take folks off your website. When they leave your website, be sure those links open in a new window or tab so they don’t forget about your website.
- Keep it clean – it’s silly to say this, but a nice clean blog which includes some white space, paragraphs broken up by header tags (headlines explaining what the following paragraph is about) or bulleted/numbered points, pictures, bold/italics or color to emphasis points but not excessively really helps the reader skim and enjoy the parts of your blog they are interested in
It’s overwhelming to think of going back and optimizing every page or blog that you have written, but if you start now and work these tips with each blog you do then update maybe 1-3 more each time you are blogging, that will help you catch up. There is no sense in spending the whole day catching up, because who has time for that, plus the search engines like to see recurring activity on your website, no one and done, one night stand dealios! LOL
If you have any questions about any of these tips on search engine optimization, want more tips you can do for your website or just want someone (hopefully me) to do it for you, contact AVB and I would be happy to discuss these options with you!