So, it started when Josh & I got married… “Where do you have a gift registry?” or “Where are you registered”? I don’t really need anything, we’ve been together 9 years and this is both of our 2nd marriages.
Then…. Harvey happened
Those same folks said.. hey, so how is that “I don’t need anything now”? Or others said… How can I help? What do you need? What can I do?
As a VERY INDEPENDENT person, it has been very tough for me to ask for help. While I love to be the “life of the party”… that is seriously different from being the “center of attention” and ironically enough.. that is something I have never been fond of. But still… I’ve been trying.
I seriously appreciate everyone who has thought of me/us, helped us clean out and demo the house, wash my laundry, box up what little we were able to save, put us up in their home, donate money, make food/meals and request other ways to help.
This is still tough for me… because when folks ask to help.. I don’t know what sort of things they WANT to do to help.. how much time, effort or money they want to spend and I am in no place to tell them what that is… so I caved to the many suggestions.. and have created several wish lists and suggestions and wish that you find whatever means YOU want to do.. and whatever it is.. feel free…
What you can do!
- Thoughts – Continue to think of us, pray for us if that is what you do and check on us – it is appreciated
- Manpower time – There will be more time from now until completion of our restoration that manpower and time will be needed. I can’t keep up with what everyone wants to do, so I will post on social media when we need it but these are the sorts of things that will be needed:
- Moving back into our home
- Moving and sending furniture for restoration for antiques
- Cleaning house after various construction
- After move in.. all those dishes and non-pourous kitchen dishes will need to be washed – can you say kitchen cleaning day? lol
- Cooking – depending upon how the construction progresses and whether we can move in while house isn’t complete…. etc… having some (not too many in one week due to storage space) meals are helpful. We are simple eaters (nothing extravagant, no seafood, oriental food or spicy) and that is an option.
- Donations – so many have already given money and that is always helpful.. and sometimes that is easiest for many… but if you are looking for specific ideas on gift cards, let me help:
- Tx Roadhouse, La Brisa (don’t judge), Red Robin, Chili’s
- Kroger, Home Depot
- Wine Depot, Hills Liquor (again, no judgment, people got to relieve stress)
- Amazon, Walmart, Kindle
- Hobby Lobby
- Corner Store (my daily soda (caffeine fix)) changing to Circle K
- Cinemark, Arms Room
- Gifting… I have created a couple of gift registries from which to choose from and will update as I can. Chandra Womack Franklin of Aran & Franklin has allowed me to ship to her business office (which is where I am working now, so feel free to ship to me there c/o Aran & Franklin and I am able to store there until storing at another friend’s house until I am able to move back in. So, they will be safe.
Ship to: Kristen Day, c/o Aran & Franklin Engineers Inc, 501 S Noble Rd, Texas City, TX 77591 but be sure to note it is business address so they won’t deliver on the weekends.
Registries: Some stuff might need a few folks to chip in… some are basic staples.
I will work to update these lists as I think of other things we really need or those we have already gotten. I tried not to duplicate things on lists and since we lost so much, coming up with what we need has been harder than I thought.
Thank you for everything. We appreciate you!
~Kristen & Josh