All too often I am talking with a client about a website or their website and the services I offer – search engine optimization (SEO) and I hear them say, oh, my website has SEO so I’m good. Ummm, it is unlikely, unless you are spending time on your website doing maintenance, blogging and putting behind the scenes efforts on your website.
Misconceptions: my website has SEO
- Yes, your website likely has the aspects to help or aid you with optimizing your website, but unless you or someone else is spending time doing these things, it’s not happening.
- Your website designer is likely building you a great website and their job is to make sure your site looks great, is fully functional and hopefully with pieces to make it SEO friendly; however, if the work isn’t done with your keywords in mind, seriously, they aren’t doing it. (There are some that may be double agents, but unlikely)
- You are building your website, no worries, we’ve all done it, but you are doing it on the drag and drop or customization sites like Wix, Weebly, GoDaddy, WP, yes.. even WordPress, it’s not likely optimized. Yes, they all have the functionality to be an optimized website, but trust me, the owners or builders of GoDaddy’s drag and drop website builder is not doing your keyword research and adding the SEO mojo to your site, trust me.
So, are you getting it, you may have a site that has the potential to be optimized, but unless you, or someone hired by you is doing the SEO efforts, it is not being done!If you are not doing your SEO or paying for it to be done, it’s not done! #SEO #tips Click To Tweet
Don’t build it and leave it
Further, SEO is not a one and done thing. Sure, you can go through all 10 or 200 of your pages, but if you are not on your website at least monthly, working to make it better, more keyword rich, improving your tags – your SEO mojo, you are not doing your site justice.
Stay with me here… let’s say you optimize every page of your website, once, and leave it… but your competitor does what you do but blogs at least monthly and works on improving their SEO mojo each month – who do you think Google, or any search engine, is going to value? Remember, the search engines want to provide the best experience, that’s information in search results, to their consumers – the searchers… and provide the most relevant, up to date and valuable content. Who do you think will fare better? Yep, you guessed it… be better folks… get on there MONTHLY!Add blogs & optimize your website monthly to improve your SEO. @k10wilson can help #SEO #tips Click To Tweet
Behind the scenes efforts – SEO mojo
You might have heard me mention the main components of SEO which consist of:
- Keyword rich content – words on your pages
- Title tags – the title of your pages, not necessarily the one at the top
- Meta & other tags – these are meta description tags, alt tags, h1, h2 and etc
- Links – internal, external and backlinks
I have explained each of these in more detail so you can check out my internal links to understand them better but my point is to share the SEO mojo, those behind the scenes efforts.
So now, what can YOU DO – SEO mojo!
- Add keyword rich blogs to your website at least once a month (two+ would be better)
- Create unique title tags for each and every page/blog
- Create unique meta descriptions for each and every page/blog
- Be sure all photos, logos, images of any sort have a name and an alt tag
- Add h1, h2 or h3, etc where appropriate to make the reader experience better and help the search engines out with what’s important
- Within your pages and blogs, add links to relevant content within your website
- Link back to your website from social media, forums and guest blogs, other sites, etc
That should get you started and by no means is it necessary to go out there and do them all today.. wow, that would be a nightmare, right? As you are adding a blog or two each month, dedicate another 30 minutes or so to go through your other pages and clean them up and mojo them up!
If you would like a better understanding of search engine optimization or a personalized walk thru on where to go, how to do it and the like, contact me and we can schedule a personal consult or SEO mojo session and get you headed in the right direction.