It’s always a good idea when researching your keywords to see what your competition is doing. With that being said, just because they are doing it, doesn’t mean it is right, right? However, if you do a search using a couple of your top keywords and low and behold, there they are, then maybe it is time to see what they are doing.
As I mentioned in my “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer” blog from earlier in 2014:
- Check out what your competitors are doing on their website
- See what kind of social media they have and what they are doing – usually that is linked on their website.
- Watch them on Facebook by adding them to your watch list or add them to a Twitter List
- Do a search for their business name in Google search and see what citations show up, where they are listed, what industry listings they are part of, what reviews are out there and if their social media wasn’t listed, that might show up in search also, or it should.
- As an aside, you should be doing this for your website as well, to be sure of where you are, what folks are saying about you and to check out which citations you have listed and…. are they correct!?
All of that is pretty self explanatory but feel free to check out the earlier blog.
Checking Out Their Source Code
But what I really wanted to show you was how to view their meta tags, the easy way by seeing what title tags, meta description, meta keywords or even h1, alt tags, if they have analytics, what platform their website is on and even what plugins they are using.
Viewing the source code can be pretty confusing if you don’t know what you are looking for, but broken out, it is pretty easy to understand, errrr, for some of us. Check out this quick little video (2 minutes) on how to view website source code, how to find things and a few things to look for.
I hope you found the video helpful and it made a little sense.
Doing what they are doing??
Remember, when you find out what others are doing, it doesn’t mean it is right or that it is meant for you to do. However, if someone is doing really well with what they are doing, find out what they are doing and make it yours. No need to reinvent the wheel, but remember… let’s not copy, just find something that works for you!
This might also help to determine IF a competitor really is competition for you, like you had thought.
Also keep in mind that you need to be where YOUR target market is… so work to get there. If you aren’t, someone else likely is! Your customers come first, so figure out what they want.
Should you need any help with competitor research, finding out where you should be, optimizing your website or getting seen online, contact me as I would love to help.
I’ll start doing more little segmented videos, so feel free to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe to keep up to date with new ones as they come along. Thanks