Last week I wrote about your blog being the Goldmine of Your Business in that it provides value to your consumers and provides additional SEO value to the search engines which give you better opportunities to be seen by potential customers in search. So, if you don’t see the value in that, not sure what to tell you!
However, what I do want to share with you is like a checklist sort of thing to be sure you have all of the components of a blog to make it most effective and why! (Yea, I am one of those who needs to know why things happen/work.. plus it helps me remember.)
What makes a blog tick in the minds of a Search Engine?
Writing a blog isn’t about just typing out words in a document and posting it online because after all, how do you plan on getting it in front of more people? So, these tips are keys to help your blog be seen, and read by consumers as well as search engines – huge bonus!
- A Catchy Blog Title – if you can’t get them to open the blog, then the words on the page are pointless so be sure you have a title that will WANT them to open and read more
- Valuable AND keyword rich content – you have to have content that answers pains for folks and then it will become valuable to someone other than you. When writing your content, you need to access the point of the blog and how it relates to your products and services and be sure to spread your keywords within that content.
- Visuals – nothing will bore people more, and make them bounce (leave your site), more than a tons of words on a page with no pictures. Keep in mind; you don’t want too many pictures as that will confuse the reader, and their eyes. There is a natural flow with reading content, left to right, and pictures should enhance your content, not overburden it, but be there.
- Call to Action – what is the point after all? You aren’t writing content, typically, just to write and to save the world from despair, but then again, that would be a pain and surely a call to action…..so scratch that one. If you offer a product or service that can answer a pain that you are presenting within the blog, be sure to provide it. You don’t have to push your services on them, but let them know that you can help solve them and are available to do so.
- SEO Voodoo Magic – hey, I am an SEO marketer, you had to know this would be in here! These are things that aren’t typically considered and often overlooked but so vital to your blog in helping it to be seen in search and clicked through.
- Title tag – this shouldn’t be confused with the title of the blog, they are two separate things, but they can be the same. There are just character limitations in order to have your specific title to show as you want in the snippet. Try to make it keyword rich, but not spammy (read: stuff a whole bunch of keywords that don’t make sense)
- Meta description – this is a short description (character limitations here too) about the blog, or page, that shows up in the search snippet also. So the goal here is to entice searchers to click through, so make it good. Oh and keyword rich too, like the title.
- There are plugins for WordPress, like SEO Yoast and All-In-One that are very helpful for you on this.
- Links – internal links are ones that link from one page/blog to another. Remember the key is to keep the consumers ON your website so when there are opportunities to share with them meanings of things on other blogs, this is a great idea. External links are ones that lead folks from your page, these aren’t bad, but if they leave, they may not come back. Just keep that in mind, link to really good stuff and have it open in a new window.
- Header tags – these are basically styles that tell the reader what this paragraph is about and usually is larger than paragraph text. Google sees these as important so hey, why not put keywords in those, if it works out naturally. Again, don’t be spammy. Plus it makes it easier for folks to read as you are breaking up the text.
- Alternative (alt) tags – these are descriptions, if you will, that you are giving the pictures. Search engines can’t read a picture or pdf, so they will read the picture name or alt tag. Take advantage of inserting keywords in here too.
If I haven’t drilled it down… some additional key points are:
- Provide a valuable (answers pain) blog that folks will want to read AND share! Score!
- Make your content keyword rich, SEO stuff too
- Be natural in your keyword richness – natural trumps spammy over stuffing any day
- Most important content at the top, just in case they don’t read the whole thing *gasps*
- Make your blog readable, with spaces, paragraphs broken up, pictures and headings
- Provide them help – with your product or services
Hopefully you resonated with these tips and blogging must haves and that you learned something that you didn’t already know and are able to put it into action. I have linked, internally, to several other blogs explaining some of these SEO Voodooness, so feel free to check them out.
Or, if you are interested in a marketing consult, I can take a look at what you are doing and how you can improve.. essentially teach YOU how to DIY… or yes, I can take all that stuff off your hands so you can focus on what you do best. Let me know how I can help and what you learned here. If you are interested in 10 Insanely Easy Easy Tips You Can Do Now, be sure to check them out too!